Friday, August 26, 2005

Ready, Set, Launch

TODAYS RATING:
Total expenditures: $0.00

Off the Wal officially begins with this post. My husband, a brilliant and gifted designer, created this blog and posted "The First Post" shortly after we moved into our new home. Unfortunately, I was not as inspired as he, and so I've put off the finishing touches and my own first post until today.

Don't be fooled by the five-star rating. The temptation is great to make the hour drive to Memphis for some good sushi, or even to find a grocery store with a decent seafood department, an ethnic food section with something besides Ramen noodles and taco seasoning, and fresh produce that doesn't look like it was dragged here from California by a herd of camels.

Okay, I'm exaggerating. It is rather baffling, though, that in the Delta in August you can't get more wholesome-looking squash and tomatoes, and the potatoes (trucked in from Idaho) are $3 per bag. I wouldn't complain about the Idaho potatoes if the cotton t-shirts had "Made in Helena" stamped on them, but we're not even using the local resources we've got. You can occasionally find someone selling garden vegetables from a pickup truck, at least. So, before I rush off to Memphis (which we can't afford to do right now anyway), I will ask the manager at Hay's grocery to please stock fresh salmon, and plan to bring back some Gulf seafood when we visit the family in Mobile.

In my imagination, the produce section at the Wal-Mart Supercenter is a vision of vivid primary colors and unblemished vegetable flesh, and the fish department stocks mahi-mahi steaks and fillets. But, while the long highway to Memphis beckons alluringly, I am not tempted to patronize Wal-Mart to satisfy my urban cravings. The catfish here, at least, is plentiful and fresh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home